Rules & Guidelines
June 4: Entry period opens
DEADLINE: August 6 at 5 p.m.: Submission and entry fee deadline
August 30: Finalists notified and homes toured by 417 Home. Finalists must provide project supplier information at this time.
September 13: Winners notified by phone. Non-winners are notified by email.
December: Winners are featured in the Winter 2021 issue of 417 Home.
We’re always working to make submitting nominations easier and less time-consuming. This year, we’re asking that entrants provide a list of suppliers in advance (electrical, hardware, flooring, appliances, landscaping, etc.) to make the process a little more streamlined. As always, the 417 Home's Homes of the Year is a juried competition established to recognize exceptional home building projects. All entries will be viewed and scored by an independent panel of judges.
• Submit all entries online using the form link beginning June 4, 2021.
• As you are preparing your entries, please take time to submit quality professional photographs and write a thorough description of the project, as this is what the judges use for scoring.
• All finalists projects will be toured in person by a member of the 417 Home editorial team in late August or early September.
• Winners are featured in the Winter 2021 issue of 417 Home. See category descriptions above.
ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
• Competition is open to both firms and individuals who have completed work in the 417 area code in Missouri.
• All design work, installation and/or construction must have been completed within the past three years.
• Projects may not have been previously featured in 417 Magazine, 417 Home or other local or regional publications.
• Each entry must include a completed online form, project statement, professional photographs and entry fee.
• You will also need to submit a list of suppliers used for the project. Information required for each supplier will the business name, city and phone number. Supplier examples include electrical, hardware, flooring, appliances, landscaping, etc.
• Submit a minimum of eight (8) horizontal and/or vertical photos (.jpg or .png) at a maximum file size of 3MB each.
• For any additional photos beyond the eight submitted online, share a flash drive, CD, DVD or link to images with Colin Denniston (firstname.lastname@example.org, 417-883-7417, 2111 S. Eastgate Ave., Springfield, MO 65804). There is no upper limit to the number of images you can provide. Photos submitted in Microsoft Word or Powerpoint documents will not be accepted.
• Please name each file to identify the image. Please make sure all photos are rotated and right-side-up.
• Photography should be shot by a professional photographer, as these photos are what the judges use to score the space. High-resolution images should be taken with professional lighting and edited with no excessive filtering. Photographer must agree to release rights to allow submitted photos to be printed in 417 Home.
• Please include contact information for the photographer—this will help make the process smoother.
• NOTE: If you need professional photographer references, 417 Home can connect you with professional freelance photographers (i.e. not on staff at 417) who are familiar with the contest. Any freelance fees incurred are the responsibility of the contest entrant, and 417 Home is not involved in the transaction. Contact our art department (email@example.com, 417-883-7417) for photographer recommendations.
• If you are chosen as a winner, 417 Home will reach out to obtain high-resolution, print-quality versions of any lower-res images submitted online.
• Floor plan, architectural renderings and blueprints can be helpful to include but are not required. (Must be digital files)
PROJECT STATEMENT GUIDELINES
• Please upload a brief overview in paragraph form (300-word maximum) detailing the significant aspects of the project. The statement should discuss the project's design concept, the client’s goals, and how the design, construction and materials worked together to meet the client’s goals. Tell us about any challenges encountered during the process. Please submit this in text format (.txt), as a Microsoft Word (.doc) file or as a Portable Document Format (.pdf).
• NOTE: If you need help with your write-up, 417 Home can connect you with professional freelance writers (i.e. not on staff at 417) who are familiar with the contest. Any freelance fees incurred are the responsibility of the contest entrant, and 417 Home is not involved in the transaction. For writer recommendations, contact Jo Everhart (firstname.lastname@example.org, 417-883-7417).
If submitting multiple entries, complete and submit an online entry form and all accompanying entry requirements for each one. Entries cannot be combined. (But entry payments can be processed one time for the total of all entries to simplify payment.)
• Entry fee is $40 each for the first four entries. Each additional submission is $25.
• Entry fees may be paid by credit card over the phone by calling Landra Bunge (417-883-7417). Visa©, MasterCard© or Discover© or by clicking the "Pay Online" link included in your invoice, which can be emailed to you.
• Entry fees will also be accepted by mailing or dropping off a check to the 417 Magazine office (417-883-7417, 2111 S. Eastgate Ave., Springfield, MO 65804). Make checks payable to 417 Magazine.
Entry materials will not be returned due to the high volume of submissions received. Failure to comply fully with contest rules may result in disqualification. Entry fee is non-refundable. 417 Home is not responsible for lost, stolen, ineligible, misdirected, damaged, mutilated or postage-due entries. Winning submissions become the property of 417 Home. Entrants should not submit photographs they do not own outright. NOTE: The property owner must agree to allow 417 Home to photograph their home.